News archives from
Subscribe to our newsletter
The American Federal Reserve system: functioning and accountability
le 22 Août 2006 à 18:15
The approach to this report was journalistic, starting with the basic outline, which is built around ten very frequently asked questions :
- What is the legal-constitutional basis for the Federal Reserve System's power ?
- How is the Fed structured today ?
- Why did it take 122 years to get there ?
- To whom is the Fed accountable?
- Why have the Fed's strongest critics been unable to significantly change the way it operates ?
- What accounts for the memorable impact of William McChesney Martin, Jr. ?
- What motivated and helped Paul Volcker to successfully combat double-digit inflation, while presiding over a recession ?
- Why and how has Alan Greenspan remained so popular ?
- Where do the media fit into the Fed's approach to accountability?
- Can the Fed provide any lessons for other democracies ?